If you are like most people, you may have trouble understanding your health insurance. Here are a few simple terms that will help to clarify why and what you may have to pay for on your next visit:
- Premium : The monthly fee you pay for your insurance
- Deductible : The amount YOU must first pay before your insurance kicks in. You can expect to pay this amount at the time of service.
- Co-Pay : Fixed amount you must pay for routine services (doctor’s visit, emergency room, medications). Dermatology is considered a specialty service; some insurances require a higher co-pay amount for specialties.
- Co-Insurance : Percentage you must pay for your care after you have reached you deductible. Your insurance will pay for the rest.
- Out Of Pocket : The absolute most you will pay for care annually. After your out of pocket is met, your insurance will cover everything.
Insurance is renewed yearly, so every year your deductible and out of pocket reset. For most insurance companies, this is January 1. However, some insurance companies may use a different date.
Northshore Dermatology Center has contracts with many insurance companies. Please check with your insurance carrier to determine whether we participate in your specific plan. Below is the list of insurance carriers that we currently accept:
- Assurant Health
- Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
HMO Illinois Northshore University Health Systems (referral required)
- Golden Rule
- Harken Health
- Humana PPO/POS
- Mutual of Omaha
- Student Resources
- United Healthcare
- Workers Comp